Branding in itself is a constantly evolving field. Digital branding is, for the most part, your classic branding but designed specifically for digital channels to catch the attention of always-online customers and adapt to new ways of working. While this might seem scary (because it kind of is), there are plenty of ways to succeed in digital branding.
For one, though digital branding and digital marketing should go hand-in-hand to enable success, they are not the same. Digital marketing helps your brand reach customers (and obviously, to sell your products or services) while digital branding is about building a brand identity that is recognisable to your customers. Branding is one of the most crucial factors in determining customer loyalty.
Digital marketing focuses on promoting your brand, products or services, while digital branding helps to establish brand value and brand identity. So, let’s get right to it! Here are 5 key ways to master digital branding.
Suggested reading: Brand consistency can feel like an uphill struggle, staring down an endless approval list! Take a look at our brand consistency toolkit to give you a helping hand.
1. Prioritise brand consistency
Maintaining complete brand consistency on both an internal and external level is more important than you might think. According to the latest studies, consistent brand presentation can help to increase revenue. However, maintaining brand consistency in a digital world is easier said than done.1
With an increasing number of brand assets e.g. images, documents, videos and multiple social media platforms that often require different exclusive formats for publishing and distribution, it can be a major challenge to ensure brand consistency.
If your business covers multiple regions across the globe you will need to create localised branding material, which can make tasks even more tricky. After all, sometimes it’s a big enough challenge just getting your branding consistent in ONE region. Disparate teams working on different aspects of branding is another common reason for brand inconsistency. So, how do we fix that?
- Digital asset management (DAM): Tech is the only solution to the challenges we’re facing with branding going digital — and an advanced DAM platform can be the solution to the most common inconsistency issues you’ll face. DAM offers a robust and centralised, on-the-cloud platform for storing, managing, and distributing all of your approved, on-brand content seamlessly.
- Brand management software (BMS): A truly useful BMS platform essentially include a digital asset management (DAM) platform along with a host of other management features — approval workflows and web-to-publish templates just to name a couple — that will not only help you to maintain brand consistency to a T but also to streamline the process as a whole.
2. Focus on longevity
When it comes to digital branding, consider longevity to ensure you create a timeless, recognisable brand image. While it’s good to stay current as the world of digital branding evolves, your brand should present an unwavering experience for your customers AND teams, creating a sense of consistency and confidence.
Lack of originality and concentrating too much on fads — rather than long term impact — can quickly pull your brand away from its core values. While fads might bring you short term results, they will not help your brand to withstand the test of time. If you’re confident in your branding (which you totally should be, especially when using a good BMS), then you shouldn’t have to change it to suit short-lived design trends.
Your digital branding strategy should focus on creating a unique identity that appeals to customers and that aligns with your core values as well as future goals. Customisation might be needed for holidays or regions, but if you keep switching up your branding, YOU’LL stop being able to keep track, let alone your customers!
- Web-to-publish templates: Let’s face it: not everyone can be a natural designer, but that doesn’t change the reality that a significant number of people in your team might have to access or edit branding material. Using templates to create your branding material is a quick and effective solution to ensure not only better brand consistency but also a solid starting point for your team.
- Brand guidelines: Clear brand guidelines focused on brand vision can work as the cornerstone for developing branding content. It is the easiest way to make sure that all content created is up-to-date and consistent. It helps all the team members to be on the same page and better understand what you are looking for.
3. Consider integrations
A well-integrated system is vital for achieving your digital marketing goals. If your marketing tools cannot be integrated seamlessly with other platforms you’re using for content development or distribution, you will end up navigating through a complex web of applications, making your task more tedious. We’ve all been there, and let’s be honest: no one wants to deal with the tangled mess of manually managing all your brand material. Having a fully integrated brand management system at your beck and call is how you can ensure better digital branding without the stress.
- BMS as a comprehensive platform: Using multiple separate tools in your MarTech stack only makes operations more complicated. To make digital branding simpler, opt for a brand management solution like Brandworkz that covers it all. From a powerful DAM to innovative features like easy grouping and share options to thorough reporting, analytics, a single window for all of your brand asset management is vital.
Pro tip: You can learn more about how to re-evaluate your MarTech stack through this blog!
Complete integration with BMS: A fully integrated BMS system can deliver all the benefits technology has to offer to make digital branding seamless. The BMS should seamlessly integrate with your other MarTech apps like Microsoft Office and CI-Hub. The Brandworkz API for example is built as a service-oriented architecture that allows easy interaction and integration with other applications.
4. Think about flexibility and creativity
Creativity is an excellent tool to stand out in the digital space and create true brand awareness. When you want to create a brand that’s got a core message but still enough flexibility for region or culture-specific customisations, you need to partner with a solution that supports creativity AND consistency.
A simple way to track and control all the processes from the same platform can make branding much more flexible and easy. It empowers your team to develop and manage existing brand assets efficiently and without sacrificing their creative flair.
- Approval workflows: Approval for every piece of content is an integral step to ensure not only quality but also consistency. However, in a disparate team, regular approvals can become a tedious task. An advanced BMS should help to streamline all brand and marketing approval processes, simplifying workflows.
- Logo finder: A simple yet extremely helpful feature to make digital branding content creation easier. A quick decision tree to get you to the right logo, in the right format, can considerably reduce search time while minimising the risk of using the wrong logo or missing out on one completely.
Reporting and analytics: The ability to easily track how your team interacts with your digital assets can give you complete clarity and control over your processes, irrespective of your team’s physical location.
5. Know how effective your branding really is
Evaluating your branding efforts can help you better understand how effective it is, and an integrated BMS can help you easily review all of your branding content through just a quick search. Even better, the platform will also help you create functional templates to see how your designs will work when they come to life. It’s unfair to expect your whole team to have a perfect eye for design. Still, this can help with showing your team what good design looks like, while also ensuring every piece of work that comes back meets the right expectations.
- Brand showcase: Promoting the best practices within the brand management system is an intelligent way to stop your team from reinventing what has already been done and settled. Showcasing the best work and ideas from your global team within the platform will make sure that all your team members are on the same page. An extra perk? This’ll reduce wastage AND production costs by minimising duplication!
- Brand insights: This feature employs AI-powered bots to scour the total digital space and find all your brand content with a single click. It can be extremely helpful to ensure brand consistency across all digital platforms.
Become a branding master with brand management software
Branding will continue to evolve to keep up with the new challenges posed by the changing market, and you need technology by your side to take these on and come out as a winner. The 5 key branding practices that can make you a master in digital branding can be best achieved with a powerful and comprehensive Brand Management Solution — which will help you to create a core brand image that you can market effectively.
Brandworkz is a Brand Management Platform that covers a complete suite of software designed to streamline digital branding. Along with a powerful DAM that takes care of all your digital asset storage, management and sharing needs, it also bundles in advanced features like web-to-publish templates, approval workflows, brand guidelines, logo finder support, integrations and more, all to help you feel confident in your digital branding.
If your digital branding efforts are not driving remarkable results or if you feel there’s still scope for improvement, it’s time to give a sophisticated platform like Brandworkz a try. To experience how Brandworkz can take your digital branding to the next level, book a demo today.